What do we look for in a good headphone? Good sound quality, comfort, durability and maintenance are a few things that we look for. But when it comes to features of a good headphone for DJs, their options will no different. Hence, choosing the best headphones for DJs becomes imperative.
- Comfort: Yes, comfort. But unlike us, DJs wear the headphones around the neck most of the time except while cuing the songs. So, the headphone should be comfortable to wear around the neck. The ear cups should be comfortable as they keep on wearing and removing the headphone, they should be durable too. If the headphones are not comfortable and do not allow one ear on and one ear off, then DJs do not feel comfortable in it. Or at least the ear cups should have swiveling cups to allow rotation for comfort.
- Durability: Wearing the headphones most of the time increases its chance of getting exposed to drinks, heat, dust, etc. Sometimes drinks can also spill over it. Hence, it is smart to choose a headphone that has sturdy build, detachable parts and accessories and easy to clean.
- Closed back headphone: The headphone should be preferably closed back to avoid noise and should allow you to remove one cup from the ear to monitor the music and the desk simultaneously. Look for a headphone that cancel noise and allows you to concentrate on music.
- Sound: DJs find the frequency of sound between 14-20000 Hz to be sufficient for them. A true representation of the sound is not what they want. They need clear mids and highs of music and good music range. The bass should be very well defined and punchy as well. Basically the headphone should allow the DJ to mix the music.
- Cable: We think that the DJ may not need the cable. But he would need a coiled cable that stays in place and allows him to move a little away from his station to take a drink or a song request. The length of cable should also be comfortable enough to move around and not tangle itself with other things.
- Good volume in headphones: The best headphones for DJs must have good volume which is possible with sensitive divers that can deliver loud volume. Else, with the maximum volume in your station, you won’t feel things to be loud.